Thursday, February 20, 2014

Identity and Uncertainty - A perfect combination

Who are you?
What are you good at?
What is your identity?
Who do you believe you are?

The last couple of weeks I have been letting go of everything that I have always thought I am, trying to replace it with what God has made me to be.  And let me tell you, it has been the hardest thing I have tried to conquer thus far because I am completely changing my thinking.  But it has been totally worth it!  My excuses are getting less and less, making my perseverance to try and master something new more frequent.

The other day I was in a meeting where I was asked to take something on.  I hesitantly said okay, which made the meeting organizer ask if I was comfortable with that.  I had to think for a second because I REALLY wanted to say that I wasn't.  But what came out of my mouth shocked me:
"This isn't something that I've ever done, so no, I'm not comfortable.  But it is something that I want to learn, so I would love to take it on as long as someone is willing to walk me through it."

So who am I?
I'm a hesitant person who would rather hide than talk to someone on the phone.
Who has God made me to be?
A woman who can not only talk to someone on the phone but can make connections on the phone.
How do I change my thinking?
I do what God believes I can do and overcome any fear I might have in it.

Excuses no longer become an option.
Success is the only option that is available.
And why not?  It truly is the best way to live.  I'm finding that every time I don't make an excuse I am able to accomplish something new, or something better than I ever have before.  Life is suddenly so much more full than it ever could have been if I decided to continue a life of excuses.  The sky is no longer the limit.

∞•∞•∞•∞

The last couple of weeks excuses free has been a pre-curser for the next journey of my life.
I recently received some news that has taken something that I love away from me.
This week I was told one of the most disheartening things a vocalist ever wants to hear:
"Your vocal career as you know it is over."

Let me be honest when I tell you that I am scared to death, as being a vocalist is the only thing that I have known the last 5 years.  I have done a couple of CD's that have sold pretty well locally.  Anytime I feel down or need some direction, I sit down at the piano and I just sing and suddenly my heart and mind would be clear.  Being a vocalist became my identity.

My excuses to stop doing life:
I'm not good at anything other than singing.
People won't like me if I don't sing.
People only like me because I'm a musician.
Who has God made me to be?
An amazing person that can do anything I put my mind to.  He has not just made me a musician or a vocalist, though they are amazing talents.
How do I change my thinking?
This is still a work in progress.  Honestly, I have sat in the arms of God for the last two days as I have laughed and cried, shared my fears and my joys, and tried to figure out what to do in life.  When something gets taken away from you that has always been a love in your life, it is a pretty big blow.  However, I know that God's arms and His love is surrounding me and in tragedy, and is bringing me a peace that I don't think that I have ever experienced.

∞•∞•∞•∞

Who do you think you are?
Do you use excuses in your life so you aren't really seen?
Do you know who God has really made you to be?
Are you faced with a difficult decision?  How are you handling it?

I would love to hear your thoughts and how you are able to find and hold onto the identity God has placed in your heart and who He has called you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment